Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cereal Crusted French Toast


One day, the kids couldn't decide if they wanted to have French Toast or cereal for breakfast, so I decided to combine the two and it worked out even better than I had expected. First,






the kids picked out two different cereals (Honey Nut Cheerios and Lucky Charms) and put them in the food processor. I ran this until I got a nice cereal dust.















To my egg wash, I added a teaspoon of both almond extract and vanilla. Then I added nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice.












It is easy to go overboard with the spices, so I recommend adding a slight dusting on top of the was before each piece of bread.








Once you've dipped the bread into the eggs, place it into the cereal dust. When this cooks, it creates a nice crust that adds a nice bit of texture and it also creates a barrier between the egg and the heat that prevents you from getting a cooked egg on the end of the bread. French Toast is always a food that the kids like to eat, but they can also help make. With this added dimension, it gives them another level of participation. When I was done trying this, it made me want to experiment with the process a little more. I didn't really like the two types of cereal that they kids had chosen as a crust. But it did give me the idea to dehydrate some fruit and turn it into a powder crust, too. Maybe a banana strawberry almond crust French Toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...