Monday, April 9, 2012

Egg Salad Sandwich


If you are like a lot of people the day after Easter, you are looking for things to do with your dozens of hard boiled eggs. To me, the most logical thing besides deviled eggs is to make some egg salad sandwiches.


I like to keep my egg salad sandwiches pretty simple. It is common to add lettuce, onions, celery, pickles, relish, bacon and cucumbers, but I choose not to add any of these ingredients. When mixing the eggs, I don't separate the yolk from the whites. I just add mayonnaise, mustard and start mashing away until it ends up with a smooth consistency. The thing that I find the most distracting that many people add is celery. While I like the flavor with the eggs, I find that the crunch of the vegetable is too much of a contrast. I believe that the rubbery whites of the eggs provide enough of a difference between the creamy yolks. So, I use a pinch of celery salt. It does a good job of imparting the flavor of celery without the crunch. In our house, there is a split between how these should be made. Leigha prefers that they are more dry and have less mustard, where the kids are pretty indiscriminate. I am the only one in the house that adds the heat of sriracha, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...