Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Drinks #48 Salted Lassi


Lassi is a popular drink from India. It is a yogurt-based drink that can be found all over the Indian Subcontinent. There are two variants to the drink. The sweet and the salted. Both are commonly sprinkled with a variety of spices like cinnamon, turmeric, cumin and allspice. While the sweet mango lassi sounded more appealing, I chose to have a regular lassi for the sake of the list.


When I was a kid, I really liked a drink that I believe was called YoGo. Essentially, it was a watered down yogurt drink that was sweet, creamy and perfect for kids. I don't think that they make it anymore. What they DO make is Gogurt. Individually wrapped, for kids on the GO! Sorry, false enthusiasm doesn't carry over to the written word very well. Yogurt is a food that I've loved my entire life and that has carried over to my children. But, I must say that I'm not sold on the lassi. It tasted like the drink was made with coconut milk, so there was a mild sweetness to it. There was the creaminess of the yogurt, which was nice. The thing that was throwing me off was the spices. These were spices that I associate with sweet flavors, yet served in a savory manor. As I said, I'm not sold on it, but maybe that is because I haven't tried the sweet mango lassi yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...