Friday, March 30, 2012

101 Desserts #76 Dutch Letters




I had never thought of Dutch Letters as a regional food until I started to looking for some recipes to make it myself. As it turns out, they aren't regional; they are an Iowan food that has been imported from Holland. From those of you that have never had one of these, I am truly sorry. These are one of my top five foods of all time. I would rather have a bad Dutch Letter over nearly any other pastry.






So...what IS a Dutch Letter? It is a flaky layered pastry filled with almond paste and shaped like the letter "S".  Imagine that God came down to earth and took the biblical snake and flipped it into a symbol of things that are right with the world. Then made it edible. Then you have a Dutch Letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...