Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Foods To Eat Before You Die #28 Chile Relleno


Chile Relleno translates to "Stuffed Chile" This dish came from the Mexican city of Puebla. The dish is made with a poblano pepper, (named after the city of the dish) stuffed with meat or cheese, covered with a batter and fried. The cheese variant is common during lent. I am not Catholic, but I did happen to try the dish during lent. When it came to the table, I
was underwhelmed. If I hadn't been the one to order the dish, I wouldn't have been able to identify what it was. At all. It looked like a lump of something covered in sauce and topped with a tiny bit of queso fresco. My guess is that the pepper was canned or pre-made, which lead to the collapse in form. I think that, while it tasted good, I couldn't eat with my eyes. A stuffed pepper that is firm yet soft is a much more striking image. This is something that I will definitely be trying on my own during my two months of vegetarianism.
Casa Tequila Tiffin, Iowa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...